22 years later I still struggle to keep up with her pace when those lovely long legs step it out for an afternoon walk. She recognizes this and offers an evening stroll in flipflops. Gladly I accept because it means another opportunity to walk hand in hand – sometimes in silence – other times with a conversation starter that she pours out and I take over. With or without the playful, energetic, 9-month-old puppy in tow, a walk with my beautiful wife is one of my favorite ways to pass the time.
She’s the prettiest girl in the Holler’… my Michele.
She’s given me 3 wonderful children and let me interject my
fatherly ways from time to time. But the truth is, she’s the Captain of this
ship. Mom’s always been the one they run to for money, for permission and for
help filling out a FAFSA. Her tech-savvy, organizational skills make her the
obvious choice over me with anything electronic. But it’s her patience, open
mind and her giving heart that make Mom the go-too for most everything else. Like
a good mother, she always puts them first – like a great mother.
She’s the prettiest girl in the Holler’… the mother of my
children.
Michele’s willingness and uncanny ability to tackle day to
day challenges comes from her fierce independence and a time in her life when
she couldn’t rely on anyone but herself. Somewhere that 20-year old, single
mother, balancing college courses, a volleyball team and the uncertainty of her
future is still fighting to prove to herself that she can do it. She has done
it. She’s persevered. She won the race. She got the guy. She got the white picket
fence in the suburbs with 2.5 kids and a dog….if Pine City is the suburbs and
if I am “the guy”. I am the guy – the guy that needs to realize that she’s not
stubborn. She’s independent. That she doesn’t need a man – she chooses a man. I’m
the lucky one.
She’s the prettiest girl in the Holler’….
And now 22 years later, it’s just me and my pretty girl. The
oldest son has a pretty girl and home of his own in the actual suburbs. Our only
daughter is the prettiest girl in the North Country and winning her way through
life and college. And now the youngest son has started his journey into early adulthood
with vocational training that began in July, a lease on his own apartment and a
pretty girl that will keep him checking in back home regularly. But here at home, for now, it’ll
just be me and my beautiful wife. Empty nesters they call it. How lucky am I to
be the guy to hold the hand of the blonde in the sundress with those lovely,
long legs? Just me and Michele…
The Prettiest Girl in the Holler’.

1 comment:
HeyPaul,
Welcome back to your blog. I had about given up on you writing anything new since you're so busy. Thought perhaps in the fall again.
I remember Michele as a little short girl with short chubby legs for many years until she was about 8 or 9. Now look at her. A well written tribute to my baby sister who will accomplish many more things in her life no doubt. It should be interesting!
Jeff
Post a Comment