Tyler Childers has done it.
Lynyrd Skynyrd did it.
Every poet, songwriter, author and musician since the beginning of time has done it.
....done what?
Written love notes to share with the world about the women in their lives....
But don't let Michele come on here and threaten to write a BLOG about our ever changing life together. Don't let her try to convince you that I love her any less or that I care about her safety and well being any differently now than I did in 2001. She is the Love of my Life.
And now you know that....
So if this Hall of Famer decides to write some silly story about me taking an afternoon nap on our new-to-us, college level, sectional couch....and go on about that nap being interrupted by the unfortunate circumstances of my dear wife mis-stepping and losing her balance but gracefully falling to the living room floor in front of me... don't believe a word she says. (Because later in the day while on our way to an afternoon movie date, she started laughing and threatened to "Write a Blog" about me not loving her like I used to!)
I watched the whole thing. She kicked the footrest and fell forward in an dignified tuck and roll. Lewie was there to assist her and truthfully, she may have begun laughing before she actually even hit the floor. Yes - I was concerned. Yes - I resisted the urge to point and laugh as she would have no doubt done to me. Without any sudden movement, I tipped my hat back and asked if she was alright.
What my bride will try to convince everyone is that the Kirby of Old would have somehow sprung into immediate action and rescued his damsel in distress. The Old Kirby would have sympathetically rushed to her side to offer emotional support and administer any necessary topical first aid. She professes that my love for her has changed and that I am somehow less caring about her safety and well being because I didn't sound the alarm and rally the troops when my wife lay sprawled across the living room floor.
I contest that I love her more this day than the last...and that I love her more and more each and every day. Although I bear the brunt of most familial jeering and laughing, in this instance I chose not to lash out in laughter but to calmly assess the situation and tried to get back to my nap.
It's just that it caught me by such surprise that she lost her balance and didn't elegantly glide across the living room like the high caliber athlete that she is.
I love you, #5. Way to stick the landing!
I guess we're both getting a little older.

2 comments:
Just a few ‘forgotten’ facts about this incident. I could have caught myself when falling but decided to just let myself go. I was getting up to put away the dinner I had made Mr Kirby aka Couch sitter. The words-‘are you ok’ were in a straight monotone while he continued to watch the TV show he was watching. Twenty-something Kirby (who was trying to get his ‘dream woman’ ) would have been off that couch and on the floor quicker than the 12 week puppy who was there. 30 and 40 and almost 50 something Kirby didn’t even uncross his arms or flinch.
Hey Paul, Great story and belly laugh for me! Good thing I wasn't there when it happened because I would have laughed so hard at my baby sister I would have started crying! That being said, women are never going to give a guy a break while they are taking a little siesta. Women can nap all they want but if a guy does somehow it's perceived as "Not Right". Oh the joys of being married from what I remember anyway. LOL! Keep the stories coming, Jeff
Post a Comment