Thursday, July 10, 2025

49 and a Half.

 The thing is – I don’t feel “old”.

I feel like I could still do a pretty decent cartwheel. Like I could knock out a 5K tomorrow if I had to. I feel like my taste in music is broad enough to still be one of the cool kids. I feel like my closet is hip enough to pass as “chill” and not as someone that is trying too hard.

I don’t even really feel like I’m from here – although I’ve lived here for half of my life. Sometimes I still feel like the new guy, even though I’m not. Half my life? Wow – I must be getting Old.

I can hang. I can still party – if I had to. I feel like I can still play the game…whatever game – baseball, hockey, whatever. I can still chuck the old pigskin around. I think.

I’m not set in my ways – the old-fashioned ways…. the way we have always done things. I can adapt and change with the new-fangled things in life – modern technology – new methods – new philosophies.

I think.

Except – I don’t do spreadsheets. Excel or Google Docs. I haven’t figured out how to set up a Group Chat or even talk to Siri. I’d still print out driving directions if Michele would let me. The only Bluetooth ear buds I own are my new hearing aids. Yeah, I said it. Hearing Aids. Like Old People have… and my taste in music? There are two cases of cassette tapes in the basement that I refuse to get rid of because I think it’ll make a cool Arts & Crafts activity sometime. – even though most of those artists are played on the Classic radio stations anymore. And that cartwheel? Don’t bet on it. My shoulder hurts. I may have torn my rotator cuff. So, I probably can’t throw a football or chuck a baseball very far…not without pain anyway. I could maybe play “the game” but I’d be sore as Hell afterwards. I eat Aleve like M&M’s.

I’m 49 and a Half.

My back hurts. My kids make fun of the way I dance. When those Progressive commercials come on about You-Turning Into Your Parents, Michele and the kids point at me and laugh. At work I talk in terms of 5–10-year spans or more. On the depth chart, not only am I on the front page, but I’m an elder. #8 on the seniority list or some shit like that. I remember what it was like here way back when.

And those hearing aids… yeah, that was a shot to the ego. But a move that I think my wife appreciates.

You know – I go back and forth – sometimes I feel like a Spring chicken…. spry and full of piss and vinegar and then other times I feel the steady geriatric decline of gravity pulling at my everything.

Hell….at least I aint 50 yet.

That’s in 3 days.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Paul,

Now you're just showing off with yet another blog. Turning 50 must have opened the floodgates of your mind. Turning 50 isn't easy nor is it hard. Age is a state of mind in reality. I'll be 59 in a few weeks, yet don't feel like it most days. I know my limits and respect them. I'm sure you've learned that too.

Keep doing what you're doing and it will all work out. I SAID, KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND IT WILL ALL WORK OUT! A little hearing aid humor for you Buddy!

Later Gator,

Jeff