Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shoe shopping with Kirby.

As most of you know, I love shoes.

Some would call is obsessive, I call it love.

On Saturday, after our Gopher game adventure, it was on our list to find some new tennis shoes, everyday shoes and dress shoes for Emma and Kirby was in need of new school shoes as well.  Being that we were in the cites, our opportunities for stores was plentiful and chances were that we would find what we needed.

Except that after the first store, I was painfully reminded that we were shoe shopping for Kirby.  The man who prefers his hunting boots and still wears his marine shoes from 10+years ago.

Stop 1: Kohls.
I take Emma to the girls section of the shoes and leave Kirby with Logan to hunt around the men's section.  As I'm battling the other mothers for sizes and shoes, Kirby comes over once, twice, three times with pained expression on his face asking me to please help him.  On the 4th trip to me he shows me a pair of shoes and I tell him that they are nice but if he's trying to still be the cool-hip-young teacher......then he shouldn't wear grandpa looking shoes. (they were one step below having velcro straps on them)

We leave Kohls with tennis shoes for Emma AND everyday shoes for her.

Stop 2: Factory Brand Shoe store, North Branch Outlets.
I once again take Emma to the girls section to find some dress shoes and leave Logan and Kirby to the men's.  Tired of battling the other mothers in the crowded isles, we walk over to find Kirby and Logan.  No progress has been made, he shows me some shoes that he likes and I tell him let's head down to Bass to see what they have.

Stop 3: Bass
You would think that in a store with a fish named theme, we would have some better luck here. 

At this point, Emma and Logan are getting tired of shopping and have gotten to the point where they are hiding under the clothes racks.  Yes, those are our kids and yes we know they are under there.

I pull out 2 shoe boxes and give them to Kirby.  Apparently shoes without laces are "gay" for this manly man and after I watch him try to shove a shoe that obviously doesn't fit him on his foot, I ask him what he is doing!!?!?  He tells me that these type of shoes are hard to get on but once they are on, they feel fine.  I kindly remind him that if the shoes doesn't fit, don't put it on. 

My next trip around finds him wearing 2 different types of shoes, one on each foot.

Then we have a discussion on what type of shoe he is looking for......he tells me dress shoes that I can wear with jeans or dress pants and a tie if needed. 

At this point I tell Kirby that this is the reason why I have lots of shoes! Everything fits me and it's an easy decision! It takes me 2 minutes to decide if I'm going to buy a pair of shoes or not.

We leave Bass with........nothing.

Stop 4: Factory Brand Shoes-again
Now, I mean business. I go big and pull out Doc Martens (which are not in the budgeted amount) and then pull another pair of shoes that he likes but they don't have his size in stock. I find a saleslady to look in back for us and then pull another pair of shoes for Kirby to try on. 

Thankfully Emma is busy trying on shoes from the clearance rack that range from size 11-5 so she is busy. Logan is settled on a bench, drinking a Sprite and watching the other shoppers.

We go back and forth on the Doc Martens.  The other shoes we like would have to be shipped to us. After many walking trips up and down the isle, he decides to go with the Doc Martens.

I thank the Lord silently and as we walk to leave, my eye catches a pair that we haven't tried on yet.  I pull a 10.5, Kirby tries them on and decides to get these shoes instead. Which is okay with me cause they are $30 cheaper than the Doc Martens.......

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! We did it!

Then as we are walking out of the store, Kirby casually mentions that he could use some new tennis shoes............

Nike, here we come.

3 comments:

Vosberg View said...

check out toms shoes. you get a pair and so does a child that doesn't have any. and they are cute!

Kirby said...

After some "Ups & Downs", any lesser woman would have left me at any point during this shoe debacle. But not Michele, she stuck by me and pulled me through it successfully.
Thank you dear - the special needs boy in 5th grade really loved my new dress shoes today. The laces were the only thing that kept him quiet today during the assembly.
As for the shoes that were one step before velcro.... "you cut me deep, Shrek" : (
Lv u lots.
K

Jennine said...

You two are hilarious!

~kicking my gay velcro shoes under the bed~

;)