Monday, September 29, 2008

Why is "blog" a four letter word?

My wifey was recently on my case about not contributing to our family Blog. I know it may be hard to imagine Michele giving someone a hard time because she is generally such a sweet, loving, generous and caring person. But let me assure you that she saves up all her energy from the "dark side" to rip into me. I know she loves me folks - it's just her unique way of sharing it that makes me feel special....

Anyway back to this Blog issue... I confess, I have not been much of a editorial contributor. I've kind of sat in the back and admired Michele's work. Don't get me wrong, I really like this whole idea of a semi-dependable record of what goes on in our lives. And I have been known to scribble in a "feelings journal" during hunting season or compose a Christmas Letter from time to time - - So why not any regular Blogs?  I can't honestly say that I don't have a good excuse for not chiming in every now and then. I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

I wonder the extent to which our diary is read. I would hope that family and friends use it as a tool to keep current on the Kirby Krew (side note: the feelings journal uses the term Kirby Klan in reference to family in search of all things wild.) Is this Blog for them or us? I know that I like to look at a record of my kids happenings and hope that they'll be able to enjoy the time and effort that's put into this Blog. I too want them to someday have a tangible record of the things we did as a family; the daily love that was spread; the relatives that shared their lives; something to look back on and know they were loved. Because of that, I'd like this to not go away.
Sure some days, "the Blog" will be exciting and fresh and other days it might lack the spice necessary to keep people interested. I guess that's the way life is too. Take solace in the normal, dull old days. Those are the ones that we can build on. We'll stay active - the effort it takes is always returned 10 fold when the kids are involved. 
I love my wife - you may have read that we got a date night last weekend. That's actually when she laid into me about this whole Blog deal.... and teased me about the 'sexy jeans'.... and laughed when I dripped some Mongolian juice on my shirt....  and pointed out my inept city skills by asking me which 694 to Dillon's house.... and tried to get me to buy a sweater-vest..... and laughed when my buddy called during the Volleyball game to talk fishing.... and told me I have short little legs..... but despite all that ribbing I know she loves me back... it's her way of showing it.
Blog = 4 letters
Love= 4 letters
Coincedence - No 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

I read the Kirby blog all the time and like you I wonder who just is reading ours. They are good to have even if you are just writing for yourself. I have no idea where Michele got her "ribbing" ways. Even I get accused of that sometimes. (HA) You must never mention the "sexy jeans" again, okay?
Later,

Jeff

Vanessa said...

Actually Paul, I look forward to seeing the "sexy" jeans! I'm enjoying reading your blog as well as posting on ours, but sometimes I can't think of anything to write.

Vanessa