Wednesday, March 9, 2016

“I Know Him!” - the SIVU Santa Story.

After returning to the Rock in early January I received the news that the basketball team would be traveling to Noatak for the SIVU Invitational Tourney. As far as I knew, teams and villages that wanted to go were expected to raise the funds needed to cover the air travel expenses. The District pulled allocations for invitational tournaments a few years back in favor of more regular season games. But the people of the Region love their Tourneys, so SIVU stayed.

SIVU is actually the name of the mountain that is officially the Southwestern Tip of the Brooks Range. It lies about half way between Kivalina and Noatak. Long ago the villages clashed for control of the hunting grounds. Once basketball was introduced to the Region, a ball game became the battle ground for “control” of the mountain. The SIVU Tourney was born. Each year Kivalina and Noatak took turns hosting. And then, like all things, budget crunches and disinterest made it necessary for something to give. SIVU went away for a while.

But in recent years SIVU came back and became the pride and joy of Noatak, a village more receptive of the financial support from the Red Dog Mine. Hosting no longer rotates. Kivalina has not trusted enough to accept change. Noatak has. There is a discernable difference in the two neighboring villages. That’s why they get SIVU.

Folks have a soft spot for Kivalina though. Our principal felt pressure from the locals to send the two Qavvik teams. Financially, the money just wasn’t there. Selling cupcakes and cookies as an impromptu fundraiser netted the girls a whopping $6.50. I’m not sure that they realized that a single charter flight costs upwards of a thousand dollars. We needed four flights.

Sympathy came from the District Activities Director as he reworked the regular season schedule and sacrificed one of our previously scheduled travel dates in exchange for a trip to SIVU. The sentimental favorite, the Kivalina Qavviks, would be traveling to the Noatak Invitational.

This isn’t a basketball story. So, I’ll finish up the specifics so that I can cut to the chase. Neither the Boys nor the Girls team from Kivalina won a single game at SIVU. The Invitational Tournament was a testing ground for much higher caliber teams. But because KIVLS historically participated and the family memories were strong, I’m glad we went. It was a good experience.

                                But what I will most remember is a little girl named Rainey.


We arrived on Thursday, day one of SIVU, just before lunch. Most of our players had filled up on junk from Store but Emma Knowles and I were looking forward to the cafeteria lunch. I don’t recall what was served that day but I distinctly remember that a small army of primary aged kids joined us. Inupiat children have little regard for personal boundaries. They are direct in asking questions and often are leaning in to your inner circle of personal space when asking those questions. They’ll tug on the sleeve of a complete stranger and more than once I’ve had kids that I’ve never met before running their hands through my hair and even my beard.

That day at lunch, kids were firing questions as fast as Emma and I could deflect them. Two adult nalagmuis of opposite gender sitting together must mean that they are married. We assured them we’re not. They wanted to know how old we were. Where we were from. Everything. Of course, they asked our names. Mrs. Knowles responded accordingly.

I told the swarm of children that I am Santa Claus.

When they doubted me, I assured them that I wasn’t officially Santa Claus yet because I am not old enough but that I was working on an apprenticeship and busy trying to grow a white beard. The 5 and 6 year olds weren’t convinced until I gave them the OK to examine my beard a little closer.

When they found a few stray white hairs in the sea of orange, a wave of belief crested over them. I reassured the little Inupiat kids that I was acting as one of Santa’s helpers and would soon take over and become the Man in Charge of Christmas. Five white hairs standing out in a crimson beard and a direction from this Soon-to-Be Santa convinced those kids enough to behave and leave us alone to enjoy the rest of our meal.


Fast forward almost two whole months and I recently enjoyed a semi-final basketball game from the baseline at the Northwest Arctic Regionals. 1,500 rabid basketball fans poured in to the Kotzebue school to satisfy their seasonal need for entertainment with basketball and concessions ad nauseam. I scored a plush seat courtside amongst the Up and Up of the NWABSD. As a matter of fact, our Superintendent of schools sat directly to my right for the Girls Championship game on Friday evening.

During the quarter break and halftime, fans scampered for the concessions while music helped fill the void of deafening cheering. The faces of the crowd all blended together as wave after wave of people passed in front of me until one tiny little girl stopped dead in her tracks and turned to look me directly in the eyes.

She pointed at me and exclaimed with the biggest brightest smile, “Santa!”

Although I didn’t specifically remember her, I quickly deduced that she was one of my friends from SIVVU. Honestly, it was her Noatak Lynx shirt that gave it away. I countered with a joyous “Hello” and a hug. I told her I was so proud that she remembered me and asked her if she was having fun.

Her smile answered all my questions. Of course she had been good since our last encounter. Of course she was having fun at Regionals.

For the next two nights, my little friend visited often. She never once overstayed her welcome. I thanked her for throwing away her cup and spoon from her ice cream treat. She said, “You’re Welcome.” Every time she walked by, she gave an innocent wave or heartfelt smile. The Superintendent was right there with me thinking that this was about the cutest thing in the world.

Her name is Rainey. She’s 6 years old and from Noatak.

As far as I’m concerned, she’s on the Nice List. 

No comments: