Monday the 10th was my first official day on the payroll of the NorthWest Arctic Borough School District. We have successfully navigated two days of new-teacher inservice that is eerily just like every other inservice that I've ever attended. Except one minor detail - at the end of the day in the Lower 48, I went home. Here, I've got an air mattress on the floor in room #62, a 2nd grade classroom at June Nelson Elementary in Kotzebue.
Good news - the showers in the boys locker room are hot and they're feeding me three square meals a deal. So, my needs are being met.
Tonight I plugged in and got to SKYPE with Dadd and Rose. The "call" was 49 minutes of Q&A with some much needed familiar faces. I sat in the hallway and assured them that this was just part of the experience. After Poppa Tom & Grandma Rose got their fill of News from the North, I got to talk to my two beautiful blondes in Pine City. Sista Emma was finally home for a "call". Lately she's been on a whirlwind social tear. All was good - those two are starting to look more alike every day.
The JOB part of this is adventure has been relatively easy. I'm thankful for my insightful 14 years experience in Small Town, Minnesota because so far, it all translates. The heavily structured schedule has been comforting knowing that my immediate needs are being met but truthfully, it's been a bit taxing. It's felt like I've been putting in 16-18 hour workdays and yet somehow feel like not much is being accomplished. The staff is great. I honestly feel like I've lucked out on that very crucial piece of the puzzle. I've made new friends and will lean on them often.
And "they" have appointed me the Varsity Boys Basketball Coach for the Kivalina Qavviks (Wolverines) Sounds tough, eh? I've not signed an Extra Duty Contract, nor have I been formally offered such position by anyone with true administrative power but I'm learning that a lot of things in the Villages are done by committee.
Many hands make light work. And what to do when there aren't "many hands"? Well, I guess we band together the best we can, to do the best we can, given the circumstances that we all share. And with that... I un-officially accept my appointment to coach the Qavviks.
In Alaksa, basketball reigns supreme. It's like Football in Texas or Hockey in Minnesota. (BTW - Mystery, Alaska is still a great Hockey flick even if it couldn't be farther from reality.)
It's 10:23 pm. - The sun is out. I am ready to hit the sack in Room #62 and outside my window there are 25+ school aged kids playing basketball.
I got next.
No comments:
Post a Comment