Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Sorry sir, it's POLICY."

Yesterday I met with the other managers of the Rush City Aquatic Center to discuss our fast approaching summer pool season. We sifted through some applications and agreed on some new hires. We also hashed out some things we wanted to add to our Policy Manual. The Head Honcho had recently attended a Pool Directors workshop and sat through a break out session on "Having Policies In Place". Bossman told us about a facility that had a 36 page policy manual for all employees and the general public to peruse. (yeah - not happening) But he also gave an example of another Director whose manual consisted of only 5 main points where pretty much any and all circumstances and situations could be covered under those well thought out "policies". We all know that life happens and not everything can be "painted with one brush".

As some of our readership may have noticed, there has not been a regular supply of new posts to the Kirby Krew blog. For that, we apologize. Hang in there friends and family. This Spring has brought some unforeseen challenges to our family. Not to worry though, our faith, hope and love remain as strong as ever. To fill you in just a little.... let's just say, Michele and I have been required to sum up our approach to raising a family in a "Policy Manual" of sorts.

Annually, I'm asked to write Christmas letters for the masses. With my gift for gab and the written word, I gladly oblige. I've also thoroughly enjoyed documenting the ins and outs of my Fall hunting adventures in prose. However, when tasked with actually writing down what our family values and morals are, I quickly realized the magnitude of such an undertaking. Michele and I talked about, wrote, edited and re-wrote for days. At times we struggled with what what to include and what to leave out.

"Would we have 36 pages of policy or just a few strong statements that cover everything?"
"How do we put into words how much we love our children?"
"How does one openly write for others to read - the emphasis you place on family, above all others?"

Raising kids doesn't come with an instruction manual but it's good to have walked this walk with my family.   I recommend spending time with your loved ones discussing the direction in which your family is headed and what you believe in. Don't take it for granted as unspoken but known to everyone. You'd be surprised what you could discover about yourselves. Know too, that your family's Policy Manual may be an ever-changing "document". We love all of you that visit "the Kirby Krew". Thank you for your support, love and understanding.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. 
But the greatest of these is love.
NIV... I CORINTHIANS 13:13

No comments: