Thursday, March 18, 2010

"Well my dear daughter, the Lord has called them home."

One of Michele's close friends lost her father to cancer yesterday. Although we don't like to see loved ones go, it's empathy and compassion that bring old friends together for love and support during this time of need. Michele will be going to the visitation tomorrow and because I will be out of town, I wanted to make sure that I could find someone to take care of the kids so that it would be one less thing for Michele to be concerned with. Our friend will be taking Emma and Logan for the evening and I was excited to tell them that they would be having a "play day" with Taylor and Nolan on Friday night.

So on our way to school - I gave Emma the big news about going to Taylor's house. She of course wanted to know why I wouldn't be there to pick them up from daycare and wanted to know where Mommy would be that night. I felt that it was only fair to tell her the truth of the friend's passing to which she responded in the most gentle and sweet way possible, "Oh man, I've really had a lot of people dying in my life lately."

I was completely caught off guard with this innocent but powerful statement and I needed to know more. What had I missed? I waited for more from my baby girl as I opened the car door for her. "What does that mean, Em?"

"Well, Emma B.'s uncle died and I feel bad for her. Miss C's grandma died too and that makes me sad. And Grandma Judy's Mom and Big brother died too..... Dad, why does God make people die?"

I was reeling. Her friend from school and daycare had lost an uncle. And Miss C., a paraprofessional in that same classroom, did indeed lose her grandmother recently. But my own Great Grandmother died last October and Uncle Ray has been gone for a few years. "Well sugar," as I tried my fatherly best to be honest and faithful, "God needs some people in heaven more than he needs them on Earth. And sometimes when people are in pain on Earth, God takes them home. Do you understand, dear?"

She responded as only a 5 year old could........"So, is that why Michael Jackson had a heart attack?"

I didn't know she had the King of Pop in her life...... what a sweetie!

3 comments:

Tina said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard. Emma has such a sweet spirit.

Please pass on my hugs to Pam, Chris, and Judy from me too. I won't be able to make it and really wish I could. Checking to see if my mom can go in my place but extra hugs won't hurt!

Also, I usually read your blog in my Reader and don't come to the blog but I did today. Love the background!

Top Shelf Talker said...

Reminds me of a few weeks ago, when standing outside the church just after a relative's funeral, a young cousin of mine, all of 3.5 years old, was pointing up the road at the hearse as it drove away with her grandfather, asking why it was going that way.

The response -- because it's a one-way street -- summed it up beautifully, in both the literal and figurative sense.

When you're on your way to heaven, there pretty much is no question that it's a one-way street!

Vanessa said...

She is so sweet and smart. It's amazing what's going on in their heads at any given minute.