Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Birthday dear friend....

Today is Gunner's 6th and golden birthday. 

I have always wanted a dog. 

When I was growing up, I guess there was not enough room at our house with four kids or maybe my parents just weren't 'dog' people but, whatever the reason, I never had the chance to grow up with a dog.

When Kirby and I got married we put our priorities in order like all good, smart couples should do.  Get married, buy a house, buy reliable vehicles and think about having children, or in our case, more children.

I don't think Kirby had 'dog' on his list but I know I did. Luckily he was smart and loving enough to realize that getting his wife a puppy would make her a very happy woman 6 years ago.

Introducing...........Gunner the day we got him at 8 weeks old.



Can't you just see the joy and happiness in my face?  I will admit, the puppy years are hard (just like infancy) but once you get past the potty training and training to listen and not treat the house like a chewing toy... having a dog is wonderful.  Okay, I will also admit that shedding, the dog hair that has killed two vacuums, the massive amounts of dog poop in your yard and the additional financial costs may not seem worth it to some....  But,  having a perfect house/yard has never been my goal.  A house is to be lived in and what better way to make that happen then with a dog and 3 kids right?

My main wish for having a dog was giving my children the opportunity to grow up with a dog-something that I didn't have.  I strongly believe that allowing your children to grow up with an animal as part of their family teaches a whole other aspect about love and loyality that I could not teach them as a parent.

Gunner has been apart of many special days for all my kids.

Logan learning to walk....


Many, many birthday pictures.

Hunting firsts!

First day of school.

Many hours spent in the woods.....



And Gunner is also a great snuggler.  In fact, Gunner knew I was pregnant before I knew I was pregnant.  How do I know?   Gunner was never allowed to sleep on our bed back in his younger days.   Then, all of a sudden one night he jumped up and was at my feet night after night after night.  A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant with Emma.    Same goes true for Logan.  Gunner endured sleeping on his pillow during the infant years with Emma-her moving up to her crib in her own room and then into a big girl bed.  Then sure enough, all of  sudden he was back up on our bed night after night after night.....and a few weeks later, I was telling Kirby we were expecting again!  

(No, I'm not pregnant in this picture, just wanted to show you what a good snuggler he is)

Gunner has been around during the 'beginning' years of our marriage as well.


But what's really great about Gunner, is his commitment to our kids.

When Kirby is gone, Gunner goes on high alert, almost like he knows that he needs to be even more protective than he usually is. Gunner is a great warning for us when he is outside by barking to let us know the following:
1. When anyone dares to walk down our street or in front of our house.
2. When a leaf blows down the street.
3.  When someone is parking their car anywhere near our house.
4. When there is a cat walking down our street.
5. Newspaper delivery alert!
6. Any other live animals such as a bear or a lost ferret.

My favorite thing about his protectiveness though is when Kirby is gone and I get up to go into the shower before getting the kids up and ready.  Gunner will get up as well and sit in front on the steps that lead up to the kids rooms and will lay there until I open the bathroom door.   He will also do this during the night-almost as if he's making sure that no one or no thing will get by him.


I also believe that no hunter is a complete man until he has a dog to go hunting with.

I'm pretty sure I heard Kirby say the other day that Gunner is the best dog he has ever known.  Gunner might not be the best hunting dog, but he's the best dog.

Happy Birthday dear friend.
Thank you for being such a wonderful dog to our family.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Awww, that is so sweet. He really is a beautiful and sweet dog. I know we look forward to having a dog someday too.

Tarina said...

Happy Birthday to Gunner!