Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Rescue Rick

 

On Juneteenth at 12:08 p.m. an unresponsive, 11-year-old girl was pulled from the water at the Pool of which I am the Manager. “Unresponsive” is a whitewashed way to say she had drowned. She was not with us. Life was leaving her body, on the deck of the Rush City Aquatic Center that cold and rainy afternoon. My team of lifeguards, an assistant manager and I began CPR, attached an AED and worked, hoped and prayed that our response would be enough to bring this little girl back.

We did and she is back to her old silly self and doing well…

I felt “called” to be there in that moment, much like I was 17 years ago when a similar near drowning happened with similar positive results.  The safety record at the Rush City Pool is outstanding. We serve over 15,000 people a season and in 28 years have only had 2 serious and significant, next level, emergencies. In near drownings using CPR, I am 2 for 2.

In 2008, I felt “called” toward a career change into Law Enforcement. Applications and interviews coupled with ride-alongs and background checks made the flashing Red & Blue a realistic and attainable possibility. I nailed board interviews and personality tests and adequately proved that I was physically fit enough to do the job… the Minnesota State Patrol offered me a position in their LETO program, and I proudly accepted. I was within arm’s reach of serving and protecting for a living. A few short days later, their doctors felt otherwise. 18 months into the process, I was disqualified for being Color Blind. My call to be a full time “rescuer” did not matriculate into the career change that we anticipated. Although I was heartbroken at the time, I can see that God had other plans for me.

I guess I’ve always had that RESCUER character trait.

In college I worked security at the local watering hole. Being the only real dance club in a college town meant that I regularly went toe to toe with some of the town’s biggest and baddest ruffians. Most of my Division II football playing co-workers held a distinct size advantage over the customers we served. Freshly out of the Marine Corps and weighing in between 185-200 pounds, I had to use my quick wit and award-winning charm to get others to do what I needed them to do in a moment of crisis. That, and I was well versed in Violence of Action. Hit them before they hit you. I got paid a Sailor’s pittance to fight as a Bouncer, but made up for it by drinking my wages worth of ale and spiced rum.

It was in college that I also worked as a councilor at a residential treatment center for troubled youth. The Episcopal Community Services established a place for the care, education and treatment for children living in poverty and or suffering from emotional, behavioral, and addictive disorders. It really was an eye-opening experience for me, and I like to say that 90% of the time it was the best job that I ever had. But that 10% of the time that it consisted of pure chaos and violence made it sadly one of the most emotionally traumatizing jobs that I’ve ever been asked to do too. Seeing “behind the curtain” and learning what these children dealt with helped me appreciate my own mess. I learned to be thankful for my own Drag Path. Offered a long-term and full-time position in my senior year of college, I respectfully declined and continued the course to my career in education. Sadly, my time spent working in residential treatment has helped me too many times in general education.

Prior to my time at Bemidji State University, some call the “Harvard of the North,” I served my time in the often imitated never duplicated United States Marine Corps. I stood on a Wall. I walked my Post. I was a worm in the mud. I learned about Honor, Courage and Commitment while dedicating my life to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by any means necessary. I am an 0311 Infantryman from India Company 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Division. I am a Raider. At 17 years of age, I signed the dotted line and committed to giving four years of my life protecting the Constitution of the United States against all enemies both foreign and domestic. I guess I stumbled into the USMC recruiter in those fancy dress blues by virtue of being a good guy willing to do what others sometimes can’t. I’ll spare you the rest of the heroics but am only reiterating my history in the business of being a rescuer.

So where did this come from?

Recently, here at work while discussing a few of our most vulnerable kids, I shared with our school counselor and behavior specialist, some of my own childhood experiences with divorce, substance use, alcoholism, poverty, and the accompanying uncertainty of life. It was a fascinating discussion about the resiliency of children and what factors lead to them breaking a vicious cycle and becoming a success story or learning to lead a life of questionable choices. No doubt there typically is an adult or two along the way that offers direction and a beacon of light to ships lost at sea. A coach, a teacher, a neighbor, or an extended family member that provides stability, rules, and love. Luckily, I had many.

One particularly memorable evening on the east side of Aurora in 1983, my little sister, my mother and I climbed the stairs to our second story apartment in the dark. I’m not sure if we were returning from the grocery store or the laundromat or if we were just making our way home from the babysitter’s house. I do know that it was dark, and it was late. As we approached the front door, it was apparent that things were going bad quickly. Our house had been broken into.

Sitting in the living room, covered in blood from smashing through a window on the back porch, was my mother’s estranged 3rd husband. The gentleman with a history of alcoholism, incarceration and abuse was not there with good intentions. My mother sent me running for help. Unforgettably, I sprinted through the alley and across Highway 25 to the Marathon Gas Station where a clerk phoned 911. The flashing Red & Blue came in spades.

Rescuers.

Listening to this sad and personal story, our school psychologist pointed out that I have been a “Rescuer” for a long time.

No comments: