My personal theological journey rests in between the hymnals of a Baptist church somewhere east of Oswego, Illinois in the late ‘80’s and my current, morning ritual of an 11-minute commute that’s only complete with the recitation of the Lord’s Prayer. I am a Believer. I believe in life everlasting in Heaven above, and that our earthly sins were paid for by my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. For that I am grateful.
I was saved in that nondescript Baptist church at some point
in my teenage years. Initially I only attended at the invitation of my buddy,
Dave. His family was much more traditionally devoted. Truthfully, I probably
went just to get out of the house, hang out with a buddy or chase Baptist
girls. Either way, at some point, the “word” moved me. I accepted the terms of
salvation and confessed my sins. Never traditionally baptized, I still feel
that my relationship with Christ is recognized and try to live by the Good Book,
although I’m not yet dunked. Like all sinners, I stray. Usually, a good Tyler
Childers or Johnny Cash gospel song is enough to redirect my attention to the
Golden Rule.
As kids, mom taught us to pray and insisted on it before
every meal. In the Marine Corps, “Bootcamp Christians” who will do anything to
avoid the wrath of a Drill Instructor for an hour, sought sanctuary, if not salvation,
at the Chapel. Seeking a break from training stress, I lined up with the
Protestants for no other reason than, I didn’t understand the Catholics. For
the next few years, I periodically attended Church both on base and aboard
ship. When other Marines were napping, lifting weights, or wasting their lives
away, you could find me, Steve Morris and a dozen or so African American sailor,
shipmates of ours, belting away songs of the Southern Baptists in the ships’
library. During our second Deployment, I was even the Protestant Lay Reader.
When I found the woman of my dreams and got the courage to
put a ring on her finger, it was important to us to be wed in a church. Out of
convenience, I was teaching a student whose father was the local pastor. Our relationship
with Pastor Dave soon followed and we spent many evenings in premarital
counseling listening to Dave’s biblical teachings and aligning our beliefs and
expectations. Michele and I were married at the Rush City Baptist Church on a bland,
warm, and snowless December day. Nowadays people regularly exchange nuptials in
an old barn, or on a beach, at a courthouse or in Las Vegas. Luckily, we tied the
knot long before our Vegas Days. Otherwise, I’m convinced Michele might have opted
for the sun and Elvis to do the honors.
We started our young family, and initially lugged the kids back
to Rush City Baptist. We took our turn at Awana’s. In no order and for no particular
reason, we bounced around a little, searching for a church. We switched to the
Lighthouse, otherwise known as the Pine City Evangelical Free Church. Gave it a
shot at Journey North. Sent Emma to pre-school at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church.
Although grateful for our time there, we discovered we’re not Lutheran. Volunteered
for summer Bible School and sang our hearts out for a couple of years at the
Evergreen Community Church. We taught our children to pray. We raised them under
the guidance of the Golden Rule, but long-term attendance never really stuck
for our family. Once the two youngest were placed at “the altar” of USA Hockey,
our Sunday morning commitments changed for the next 14 years.
The paternal side of Tyler’s family plays the part of the
traditional Catholic oligarchy well - always attending on Christmas and Easter,
baby baptisms, God parents and First Holy communion as youngsters. Nieve at
best, I remember questioning my eldest son’s belief system. Stating at one
point that a street sign may be more Catholic than he. Politely, we attended
Tyler’s First Communion and years later, we proudly attended his graduation
from Saint John’s University. Perhaps he is more Catholic than I once realized.
Neither Michele nor I were raised in regular, church going families. However, I
am comforted in knowing that we laid a foundation of belief for our family and
have modeled good choices because we have raised good people.
And now our second son is becoming Catholic.
Tomorrow night, after months of preparation and sacramental
instruction, Logan will receive his First Communion at the Easter Vigil. For
over two years, he has been attending the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Rush
City with his girlfriend, Cady, and her family. There, Father Matt has been instrumental
in Logan’s developing relationship with God. On a cold afternoon in the pheasant
fields last winter I asked my youngest son, why? Why was he pursuing the
Catechism? Logan assured me that he was interested and invested. He said that
he enjoys going to church and learning more about it. He enjoys the people that
he’s come to know through attending and serving alongside Cady. I surmised that
he felt no real pressure and was there on his own Free Will. Our father/son
conversation concluded that if Catholic conversion made him happy and that made
Cady happy, then his mother and I support him.
Recently, my own curiosity has led me to reading up on
Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witness, and other religions of the world. It’s sparked
several open and honest conversations with friends of differing beliefs and
rekindled counsel from my own parents and grandmother. The thing about religion
is that none of us really know… it’s about faith – about belief in a higher
power. Can we afford to be wrong?
Thankfully for Emma, Michele, and me - I’ve learned that
Catholics believe that God’s mercy may reach others outside of the Church.
Catholic Boys – pray for us – you’re our only Hope for
Heaven!

2 comments:
Wow, Kirby. This is awesome! I was raised Catholic. I've been away for awhile, but I just may.go.back.
Oh Karen - I'm so glad you found this story. I wish for just one moment you could see me and Steve - paint a picture in your mind - two chubby boys from the midwest and a bunch of Southern Baptist brothers...praising God on the High Seas! : )
Post a Comment