I'm reminded of a story from way back in the days... I was visiting my grandparents' place on Lebanon St. in East Aurora. Grandma was away and for whatever reason, Big Paul was left to entertain me and my pal, Dave. We were a couple of virile teenage boys, easily impressed by my grandpa's command of the French Language and beer swilling ways. In their living room, not unlike any other of the late 80's, my grandfather drifted off for a midafternoon nap with the "Price is Right" looping on the TV in the background. With my grandfather out of the picture for a while, I don't recall how Dave and I occupied our time but I will tell you that we were both equally startled when Big Paul lept from the couch and darted to the front door. The husky man in bib overalls and white, disheveled,hair adjusted his eyeglasses and motioned for us to move to the window. At which point he said to us, "Boys, I may be old and half blind but I can spot a HOT Blonde from a mile away!" Together, we admired the good looking gal out for an afternoon stroll down Lebanon Street.
35 years later - and still, my whole world revolves around HOT Blondes. Three specifically.
Within the last few of days, the first lovely lady with light colored hair just became our Daughter-In-Law. Somewhere in the ballbark of 6 years ago, Tyler ditched his evil ways of dating brunettes and fell in love with one of the fair folk. I could tell from the first time seeing them together that he was smitten with this woman - this girl that needed to buy a vowel or two to add to her name. Ms. Brittny Bzdok looked at Tyler with those big doe eyes of hers and it was obvious to me that he had taken a piece of her heart. Brittny is just the kind of wife that Tyler needs. A wife that will tell him what to do and how to do it - an organizer - a planner - but also a wife that lets him spend ridiculous amounts of money on Golf Shoes and lets him cook venison in their apartment although the smell repulses her. The newest Mrs. Frie can happily add a few vowels to her signature to balance things out. As we speak, they're honeymooning in Cabo and I'm positive she's adjusted his shirt or cleaned off a face smudge multiple times by now.
The second beauty with tow-colored locks is my lovely daughter, Miss Emma Rae. She's had Daddy wrapped around her finger since that September day 18 years ago. Our white haired baby never asked for a pony but I'm certain that I would have given her one had she asked. She's always been adventurous and independent, fierce and hard working. We're so proud to watch her enjoy new things at the University of Duluth. No doubt, this 5'11"golden goddess is turning heads with her striking good looks but hopefully people will take the time to get to know her - to see that her true beauty comes from inside. Her loveable ways pair well with her fierce devotion to a job well done and a disciplined desire to be balanced. Do we miss her? YES. I find myself periodically hoping to see her coming down the stairs but then I remember that we raised her right and have sent her out in to the World to seek her own adventures now.
The third and final knockout blonde is the siren that stole my heart almost 20 years ago. Yep, I out-kicked my coverage and have been happily married to "my Michele" for close to two decades now. How I ever scored this fair haired beauty may forever be a mystery. Maybe it was my killer dance moves or more likely our friendship and admiration for each other from a distance for some time. Either way, I found someone that I am thankful for daily. My morning prayers and those prayers that tuck me off to sleep always start with how grateful I am for the stunner I call my wife. She runs our ship. Her beauty is far surpassed by her love and devotion to our family. She's the flaxen beauty that is my arm candy and has people guessing my net worth.
My grandpa has been gone for many years now....and I'm afraid my eyesight is failing as I move in to my late 40's....but one thing is for sure, I can spot a HOT Blonde from a mile away. Thanks Grandpa.




No comments:
Post a Comment