Monday, October 11, 2021

Nancy & Bob Dillon - "tough and faithful"

I used to think I was the toughest guy in Letterkenny?

I am a United States Marine – spent two Christmases in the Persian Gulf, saw combat in Somalia. That is just the beginning of my Tough Guy resume. Ya see, after the Marine Corps I went to Bemidji State University – some call it the Harvard of the North…and there I met a fella they called “Dillon” – like Cher, Madonna, and even Prince, I immediately knew this guy was cool because he only had one name. Like me – Kirby.

Dillon and I became running mates and eventually both ended up working at the local college watering hole….where from time to time, we were known to get in a fracas here and there. I was a Bouncer. So was Dillon. Neither of us physically imposing like the Football playing Giants that we worked with but both equal parts crazy enough to jump in to any fight with fists of fury. In the house of God, I don’t want to elaborate too much on the exploits of a couple of ruffians but if you ever have the time, ask Dillon about what happened to the guy that so rudely interrupted our Valentine’s Day Dinner Date.

Stick with me here…. We’re here to celebrate Bob and Nancy. I know.

Used to think I was tough. I used to think that I knew what playing through the pain meant. I thought I understood the definition of being tough. Nope.

Ma, Nancy was tough. Tougher than me.

Nancy was classy lady in every sense of the definition. Well read and intelligent, Dignified, and elegant. Classy but TOUGH. Nancy fought back when Parkinson’s tried to slow her down. She fought to hold her head up high and to be there for Carly’s next Dance recital or softball game.

Sophisticated and fashionable, a classy woman refrains from using vulgar language…I know, I read that on the internet. Nancy fought off Pneumonia and every other ailment, so that she could be there for Owen’s next Hockey or Football Game. I can’t speak for sure about the language she used at the rink but I know she loved both of her grandkids fiercely. She fought to be a part of every moment possible.

Nancy fought like mad to keep the wolves away – determined to be there on that Lake Minnetonka cruise. A beautiful August luncheon where I saw many of you there wishing Bob and Nancy a wonderful and happy anniversary. Graceful and stylish as always, my biggest joy that day was walking arm in arm down the gangplank with her and watching her bask in the glow of being surrounded by those she loved and those who loved her.

I used to think I was tough and then Matthew would call and say, “Ma’s not doing good, Kirb” MATTHEW – huh, it was weird to hear his parents call him Matthew….Nancy wasn’t doing good but then that Christmas Card would come in the mail and Nancy would brag up Cassie and Tracy. She would write about the accomplishments and milestones of her grandchildren. Nancy would proudly tell  of Bob’s recognition by the Lion’s Club and she would dote on about the nurses at the University or the women of her beloved Church Choir – choir’s whose names I I’d struggle to pronounce.

Fighting on through her own pain, too proud to let on about her fight….this Classy Lady, Nancy, taught this Marine about being Tough.

An international pandemic put its ugly grips on Ma Nancy and sadly we might cling to these fighting memories of her in her toughest hours. I choose to remember those annual St. Patrick’s Day meals where she fawned over my three children as if they were her own grandchildren. Where she gladly made a place at the table for my wife and me. I think of spilled drinks and wonderful family stories. Corned beef and cabbage and bourbon and M&M’s. I think of Nancy’s celebrated list of academic accomplishments but how this incredibly intelligent woman remained so humble and true. I fondly remember my first trip to the Dillon household where Bob and Nancy instantly welcomed me into their home and into their family. A home that Bob and Nancy welcomed so many of you into. I cling to the memories of weddings and hockey games, Nancy always dressed to the nines…so full of peace and happiness. Softball games with sunshine and pride and love coming from Nancy – one of the TOUGHEST ladies I’ve ever known.

AND THEN THERE WAS BOB….

Bob Dillon.

How would you describe Bob?

I’d say he was like a sitcom Dad – a combination somewhere between the patriarchs of “Leave it to Beaver” and “Married with Children”. This traveling salesman knew a little bit about everything but not enough about anything to be dangerous.

I may have mentioned earlier that I’m a Marine. I’m also an elementary teacher – have been for 21 years now and I brought treats. I’ve got a sucker here for anyone that can tell me the Marine Corps Motto. Here’s a hint – it’s Latin.

Yep – Semper Fidelis. It’s Latin for Always Faithful….

I used to think I knew what that meant. Always Faithful.

And then I watched Bob.

A Vietnam veteran that served in the late 60’s and early 70’s, Bob was a Sailor. Maybe not a Military Buff or historian but I sure enjoyed listening to him weave a tale about the good old days in service to his country. Squids and Jarheads are required by law to give each other a hard time and Bob certainly held up his end of the bargain.

Bob loved telling stories about ‘Nam and the Navy. Loved telling fishing tales or stories about life on the road. But his whole demeanor changed when his stories focused on his kids and grandkids. I can see it now, his smile beaming with pride as he told and retold the same embarrassing childhood stories of Cassie and Matthew. Always Faithful…Bob lead his family from the front. And when grandkids entered the picture, he was the perfect corny old grandad that every kid deserves. Faithful to them as always.

The Lions Club presented the Melvin Jones Fellowship Award to Bob … their highest award given – for what? For Community Service….for thinking of others, putting other’s need before his own. Always Faithful.

And did you see him on that Minnetonka Anniversary Dinner Cruise? Did you ever catch him more than an arm’s length away from his beautiful bride? Nope – Bob loved Nancy for more than 45 years and I saw it just pouring out of him on the boat that day. You know with a trapped audience like that, Bob was just itching to mingle amongst his people and try out some of his latest, long, drawn-out, terrible jokes…itching to visit and talk to people because that’s usually what Bob did best. But not that day. As I remember them – they were inseparable. Husband and Wife. Mother and Father. Grandma and Grandpa. Surrounded and celebrated by those of us lucky to know them. And Bob – Always Faithful.

Just this week a very dear friend of mine passed and although it has been very difficult for me to understand, I am comforted in knowing my friend had a relationship with God. The same is true about Bob and Nancy. Mr. & Mrs. Dillon were believers and I’m comforted in knowing that they are both on high – looking down on us gathered here today. Nancy – classy, sophisticated, and TOUGH as nails….and corny but lovable Bob, Always Faithful.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Very good read. You were fortunate to have both of these people in your life. Very nice tribute you put down in words.

Jeff