Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Gimmie Three Steps..... REPOST


Nugent – “Stranglehold”, Pink Floyd – “Comfortably Numb”, Skynyrd – “Gimme Three Steps”… it was like God had his thumb on the classic rock dial and knew exactly what I needed this week each time we roamed the North Shore. There’s few places in this world that I’d rather be than cruising Highway 61 with my wife and children. No real destination in mind. Sights set on some waterfall up the road or a rocky beach down the way. Usually we’ve only got rock throwing or ice cream on our minds.

For as many years as I can recall, Michele and I have toted our kids up the North Shore of Lake Superior on mid-summer, camping expeditions. Long ago, we started with one family tent and babies and have now graduated in to a Palomino pop-up camper and big kids. All along we’ve stuck to the plan of having no real plan. Meals come when we’re hungry. A hike here or a nap there whenever we feel so moved by the spirit. Bathing can mean a dip in the Gooseberry River or a hot steamy shower in the CCC bathhouse. We’ve caught and released more tadpoles than your Average Joe has seen in his life. When we’ve been lucky, we find the blueberries and raspberries in season and stop periodically along the trail for handfuls of those delicious little gifts from God. Nightly campfires are usually snuffed out early enough for us to play a dice game in the camper before hitting the sack.

This year was just a little different in that we stayed at Lamb’s Resort in Schroeder instead of our regular, good ole’ Gooseberry Falls. An hour drive up the rocky coast put us somewhere between to Tettegouche and Grand Marais. The privately owned campground had a slightly different feel to it but the big lake to the east was just the same. This year I caught brook trout and splake in the river. The kids seemed to have a giant waterfall to themselves. Michele read books on the beach and for the first time,  Raider joined us. He was a champ - swimming and hiking, laying around camp, and tending to the flies like it was his job. He’s earned a return trip, no doubt.


The visibility was as good as we’ve ever seen it. The Sawtooth Mountains presided over the cliffs of Lake Superior for as far as the eye could see. Gitche Gumme sat still most days, clear as gin and frigid as always. The kids spent a few bucks in the malt shop at Lamb’s the same night I took a tumble somewhere up the canyon chasing another trout. Michele diligently washed the dishes each day in exchange for never cooking a meal and Raider was the perfect complement to our storybook vacation.  


Like all good things, the trip had to end. Our vacation filled with everything proved to us that good company is all you ever need to make things enjoyable. As a troop, we tore down camp. Wrapped up sleeping bags. Stowed away utensils. Policed stray trash. We condensed what remained in the coolers and packed up the truck. Unfortunately, that’s when things took a little detour.

The keys to open the locking, hitch pin were nowhere to be found. The routine of set up and tear down has never changed. As soon as the trailer is freed from the truck, the keychain goes in the ashtray of the pickup. Logan and I are typically in charge of leveling out and cranking up and down the camper. Sure, Michele and Emma help out when needed but it was painfully obvious that the responsibility for this set of keys lay somewhere on the two barrel chested, Kirby boys. Panic set in as check-out time loomed. With everything tucked neatly away, we scurried to pull out bags and start digging through pockets. Together, the four of us scoured the truck and the bags from the trailer. We looked on the ground around camp. We opened and emptied bunches of Tupperwares assigned to hold random camp supplies excluding the keys. With sweat dripping and my heart racing, I could sense that Emma felt helpless; Logan felt guilty; and Michele felt annoyed.

My wife stopped the fruitless key endeavor and asked me to explain our options. I said that it may be time to start thinking about a bolt cutter or a hacksaw. Almost 45 minutes in to the search, Michele thought it was pointless to waste any more energy on something with such a simple solution and so she sent me on my way, with my tail tucked, in search of said tools.

At checkout time, the Camp Office is filled with all kinds of excitement. People leaving early and others in search of any random vacancies. That day, I was the schlep asking to borrow the hardware necessary for breaking and entering. Luckily our host had a hacksaw, although he questioned the condition of the blade. I headed back to camp with the second rate hacksaw. It was better than having to face my wife empty handed.

Thankfully, God had spared me the necessary 1/8th of an inch I needed to squeeze the blade in between the locking mechanism and the parts of the trailer that needn’t be cut. And luckily, Master Lock had used sufficient metal to deter thieves but not the hardened steel that I feared would tear apart my borrowed hacksaw. Within minutes, I was through and knew that I had packed a cotter pin in the emergency kit that would safely hold the hitch in place. Minus a little hurt pride and about an hour of our time, we were no worse for the wear and on our way. I stopped at the Camp Office with the remnants of my Master Lock and returned the tool with a handshake and a thank you. Sheepishly, we pulled on to Highway 61 and headed for home.

In no time, the kids had their headphones on and were tucked back in to their digital worlds. Michele was flipping through a novel and I was begging for the air conditioner to help lower my pulse. A few miles down the road, I turned down the radio and caught my kids’ attention. To my wife and children I apologized for our slight detour and thanked them for another wonderful vacation. In the rearview mirror, I could see Emma break.

“What is it, Emma?”

Logan giggled.

Michele asked if I wanted the good news… as she reached down and pulled the missing keys from the outside pocket of her purse. A pocket she swears is only used for her cell phone. A pocket that she reached for while I was inside, returning the hacksaw to the Camp Office!

I could do nothing but laugh. Michele laughed. Emma laughed.

 And Logan said, “I’m just glad we didn’t find it in my bag!”



“Gimme Three Steps, Gimme Three Steps Mister and you’ll never see me no more….”

No comments: