It's official. The sun will not set on today.
Tonight, it's not going to reach the horizon until 12:06 a.m. to be exact. That's tomorrow.
Sunrise is somewhere in the ballpark of 5:30 a.m. It won't matter. I'll be sleeping then.
The constant daylight has continued to mess with my circadian rhythm. I suppose I could have just said "my sleep patterns are messed up" but I have really come to like saying "circadian rhythm". It sounds scholarly.
I suppose my clock watching and calendar staring might have something to do with the anticipation of a jailbreak in 10 days. That probably accounts for some of why I'm sleepless way north of Seattle. I'm just too excited to get home.
I've not been doing anything wild and adventurous to report to readership. I feel like I'm letting someone somewhere down because I haven't come up with some great philosophical essay on life, work, travel or family. Yesterday I felt like I accomplished a lot. Today I feel like a slug. Went on two walks. Listened to two hockey games and ate two helpings of chicken and pasta. That's about it.
The water is coming down from the mountains. The sea ice is holding its ground while the Wulik River pushes from the east. The slush puddles are giving way to months worth of discarded trash and the pebbles somewhere underneath. I'd say the staff has gotten a bit reflective lately when we visit. We're all just trying to hold it together as we fight to finish the school year with at least a shred of dignity.
It won't be long...
Won't be long at all.
1 comment:
I guess, no matter where you are teaching, counting the days until there are no more for the year, is part of being a teacher! But, my goodness, I can't imagine the feelings you must have, as your time in Alaska nears its end. You surely can't wait to get back to your family, and whatever the future holds for you. But, I am thinking, that you will leave a big chunk of yourself in Kavalina. Thanks for sharing your "adventure" with us. I've read your blogs, and chuckled, laughed, sighed, empathized, shed tears, and come away feeling haunted by some of your experiences in the classroom, community, and with the culture. I am hoping you will continue in education. You have so much to offer and give to your students. Your dedication, passion, and love of and to kids were very evident in the chapters of your life, that you let us see, this year. From experience, I know that you will remember, with lots of caring and love, those students who gave you heart ache and joy this past year. They will forever be a part of you, and that is a good thing. Our prayers, Mr. H's and mine, are with you as you get back into Minnesota and with the decisions you and your family will be making. Blessings on you. Mrs. H. PS: Do any of the teachers stay for more than a year or does each year bring on a whole new set of faces to Kavalina?
Post a Comment