Friday, April 29, 2016

Nothing could be finer…


Red Dog Mine 4/16/16
Two weeks ago I threw on the old hardhat and a pair of steel-toed boots to put in a few honest days work at the mine. Not the metaphorical mine that I’ve referred to in the past when talking about teaching and coaching like a lunch pail guy. This time it was a real, functioning, open-pit, mine.
 
Alaska Resource Education puts on a program all across this great state getting educators out of the classroom and in to the working world of Alaska’s Natural Resources of Wind, Water, Oil and Minerals. In my case, the Northwest Arctic Borough School and the NANA Region is home to the second largest Zinc and Lead mine in the world. The Red Dog Mine, operated by Teck Corporation out of Canada, is literally the closest inhabited neighbor to Kivalina. Fifteen teachers from around the region met in Kotzebue and then traveled to Red Dog for 3 days of science instruction within the working walls of a billion dollar mining operation.

With a graduate credit from the University of Alaska Anchorage dangled in front of us, we sat through lectures and participated in hands on science-based activities. The days were interspersed with travel, sightseeing and some high-class meals. Red Dog employs about three hundred and fifty shareholders. It is part of the original agreement between Teck and NANA to have as many shareholders working at the mine as possible. Local Inupiat that receive yearly dividend payments from NANA are called “shareholders”. Less than one hundred and fifty of the three hundred and fifty working there still reside in the villages. That leaves two hundred quality locals taken from the villages, taught a trade, earned a great wage and now are living elsewhere, probably Kotzebue or Anchorage. While at Red Dog I met two workers originally from Kivalina. After making small talk, I found that we knew many of the same people but I was surprised that neither of the two Red Dog employees that I met had been back to Kivalina in about 6 years. We were forty miles as the crow flies yet my new friends fly back to Anchorage after their two week rotation on shift is followed by a two week down period.

Yes, you read that correctly. Most Red Dog employees are on a 2 on/2 off work rotation. And the average salary is 6 figures. As a matter of fact, an entry-level position with ONLY a high school diploma garnishes $72,000 a year with 26 weeks on and 26 weeks off. Did I mention that Room and Board are covered free of charge? Each employee lives in the PAC, Personal Accommodations Center, which is basically a two story, dorm style building. The PAC has a commissary to meet minor shopping needs. It has a Sauna and a Yoga Room. It has two weight rooms, a library and a game room but the thing that sets Red Dog apart from all others is the FOOD!

The food they feed you at Red Dog has a reputation that proceeds itself. Everyone that I told about my upcoming trip to the Mine mentioned the food. And I will concur it really was a treat. Three square meals fit for a King are flanked by 24-hour food service. Fountain pop, ice cream, desserts, snack bars, and salad bars. My mouth is watering remember the fun we had together in the Chow Hall.
Corey Shepherd (Crossville TN), yours truly,
& Bradley Johnson ( Oregon)

During the trip I was reunited with my roommates from C3, Brad and Corey. It was good to hang out together again. We also had Dana, Sheila, Crazy Kim from Wisconsin and Kodiak Val to round out the C3 gang. I got to meet a host of other teachers from around the region. Beki Kelly is the Education Program Manager from A.R.E. and a real neat person with a background as a High School Science teacher. I actually got to go on this trip after getting an email from a mutual friend of ours, Heath Day from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Anchorage. Beki asked Heath for some recommendations in the region and he shot me the invitation. I’m glad I took the bait because I really enjoyed the company of other adults on this trip as opposed to the daily grind of the 4/5 classroom.

Me & Verna made the Lobby look good. 
Verna Westlake was our Red Dog host. She is employed in the Public Relations Department and is a shareholder, originally from Kiana. Verna is the aunt of Fritz Westlake, the boys basketball coach from KIVLs. So we had a quick connection from the get go and a mutual respect for one another.

Red Dog is a well-oiled machine. Safety is a priority. Every employee we met was personable, friendly and welcoming. The operation is amazing. The technology and active science is mind-boggling. Around every corner I was constantly in awe. The Mill workers have my respect as it was the loudest and in my opinion, the most specialized job we saw. A day trip down to Port Site was a highlight, as was the Saturday afternoon blast that we got to watch from afar.
1 of 2 Storage Buildings @ Port Site
And the USF&W Help for Polar Bear studies. 
Shipping season won't start until July.
Here I am less than 10 miles south of Kivalina. 
SAG Rollers in the Mill.
SCIENCE
Zinc is what they're after. Lead is a lucky afterthought. 
 I came back to my classroom with plenty of stories and experiences to share and was quick to apply a few things I learned out there to my classroom. I didn’t mention that shareholders have priority in hiring at the mine although they only consist of about forty percent of the total employee population and unfortunately, most of that is as un-skilled support staff. However, it is a priority to give local and opportunity at Red Dog. As a matter of fact, the villages of Kivalina and Noatak are “Communities of Interest” and people from those villages have first dibs on available jobs. The catch is, Red Dog has high standards for its employees.
Show up to Work.
Communicate.
Be on Time.
And do your job.

That’s the message I brought back – opportunities are right here in the neighborhood. A few basic skills and the aptitude to apply and work hard and any 20 something shareholder could be pulling down 6 figures in no time flat.


Heck, I may even consider a job out there in the future. The food was that good! 
The Engineers let us play with a $7,000 Infrared Camera.
Proof that the Beard is a good insulator.
Back in KIVLS I asked the class what this was. David yelled, "MONEY!"

No comments: