It’s good to be home. Feels good to sleep in my own bed. I
missed my routine and what has become my normal.
At 40 years old, I’m getting to the point where sleeping on
a buddy’s couch for half a dozen nights isn’t as cool as it once was. Please
understand that I appreciated every moment of hospitality that my friend and
his roommates extended me. I realize that entertaining and feeding another
human loses its luster after a couple of days and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Fellowship, bird hunting, leisure reading, TV programs and a change of scenery
did me well.
And now I’m back to KIVLS.
“Home” -
“my own bed”?
It’s hard to imagine that I could ever consider these digs
as my own. For a long time I struggled using those words as if they were
somehow an insult to my wife and children or the house that I pay a mortgage on
in Minnesota.
Rest assured – Pine City is where my True Home is. Where my
family lives and loves is where I want to be. But in the meantime, I’ve become
accustomed to life on this tiny spit of sand, snow and gravel a hundred miles
north of the Arctic Circle. Life 13 feet above sea level and just a smidge short
of the 68th parallel is cold in March. But it’s my new normal.
Today I underestimated my adversarial foe, the wind. Blowing
NNE at 24 miles per hour, this was no Spring breeze. I tucked my chin in to my
facemask, continuously pulled my knit cap over my chilling ears, and even threw
up the hood of my sweatshirt as a last defense. No matter what I tried, the
negative nine degree air temperature easily penetrated my not so protective
layers with the aid of the piercing winds.
Two miles in to a four mile walk, I pressed on, as the air nipped at the exposed skin that I
was sure wasn’t supposed to be exposed.
I persevered and got the heart rate up. The deceptive
sunshine and clear skies helped make a difficult journey tolerable. I chuckled
at the thought of my wife stowing away winter gear and breaking out her
flip-flops while I willingly strolled along doing my best to avoid frostbite.
A lazy Saturday in the Northwest Arctic…not much do to kill
the time. Laundry is done. Bathroom is
cleaned. Facebook has been scoured. All is secure in the interwebs. Nothing left
to do but Not complain about the weather.
Pearl Jam – “Let me Sleep – it’s Christmas time.” – 1991 lyrics…
Cold wind blows on the soles of my feet
Heaven knows nothing of me
I'm lost, nowhere to go
Oh when I was a kid, oh how magic it seemed
Oh please let me sleep, it's Christmas time
Flowered winds was where I lived
Thought you burned, not froze for your sins
Oh I'm so tired and cold
Oh when I was a kid, oh how magic it seemed
Oh
please let me sleep, it's Christmas time
No comments:
Post a Comment