I just wish everyone knew how good of a boy he is. His Mother and I are so proud of him. He is the most loving, generous, caring young man you'd ever meet. And his developmental sense of humor is becoming perfected with the timing and delivery of a master, just ask Michele.
Logan is one cool dude.I shared a few on ice sessions with him and was constantly impressed with his power, positioning, speed and skill. He's 9. I get it. But man, after receiving a perfect pass directly from the face-off from a teammate, this little fella let a wrist shot fly from the point that slammed in to the back of the net with authority. His new stick was being put through a workout. His footwork is great. I enjoy just watching him. Almost like showing off all the tricks that my dogs can do. I'll tell Logan, "Let's see backward crossovers both ways." Or "Let me see your C cuts and power turns." - I know he didn't get it from me because he's already a better skater than I.
More important than his ability to impress with his athleticism is the way he plays the game as a teammate to his peers. He listens to the coaches. He works hard. He passes the puck. He's a guy's guy - always smiling and joking around. He's surrounded himself with good friends. He makes good choices on and off the ice. Logan is just a fun fireplug to watch play the game.
- On Wednesday it snowed. By 10:00 am Logan asked me, "Dad, can I go outside and shovel?" He's 9.
Of course I answered that he was allowed to go outside and shovel. Logan had motivation beyond just the chores though. His follow up question was for permission to wear my Beaver Trapper Hat. Of course I obliged and he matched the ensemble with his new Beaver Mittens. And then he went to work. He was out there a while before I got the snowblower going. And even then, he continued to shovel the sidewalk and end of the driveway by the road. He shoveled off the back porch and shoveled a path for the mail lady. He never once asked for any monetary compensation. He never once complained. He loved every second of being outside and being a young man - contributing to taking care of the household.
He's always been like that.
Logan loves the waters and woods. One of the things that saddens me most about being in Alaska is that I'm not able to get him out fishing and hunting as much as he or I would like to. My buddies have stepped in and gotten him out. He was able to hunt up North with Grandpa during Deer Season. So, he's not had to quit cold turkey but nonetheless, I wish he had 40 acres to roam in our backyard. He would.
When Logan asked to go hunting, I jumped at the chance and the dogs sensed an adventure immediately. Fresh snow and perfect temperatures made for a beautiful morning out in the Chengwatana State Forest. At 12 years old, Gunner was a few steps slower but as happy as a lark even if he couldn't leap over fallen trees like before. Raider was just happy to have the whole pack together again. If dogs could smile, Raider would have a perm-grin. And in the woods, Logan and I smile a lot too. Especially after he shot this Flying Squirrel. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own two eyes. The Bear got himself a flying squirrel - not mid air - that would have just been too cool. But he got one. And it's a hunt I won't soon forget.
In the two weeks I was home I got to sit by him at the movie theater twice. I helped him with some Math homework, but mostly he did it himself. I got to take him to an orthodontist appointment. He and I enjoyed a hearty Chicken Fried Steak breakfast at Nicoll's Cafe. Logan used up his gift cards, splashed in a little cash and finagled his way in to being a 9 year old owner of a 15 foot Ladder Deer Stand. He's always been one to plan ahead. For those two weeks our boy was perfect. Just like we've become accustomed to.
I love ya, Bear. Your mother and I are so proud of you. I hope you score a hundred goals this year. I hope you enjoyed our time together when I was home and I hope your own spirit of adventure takes you around the world a thousand times.
Skype with ya on Sunday.





2 comments:
I would rather spend time with Logan hunting and fishing than most adults
Logan is an amazing kid and it is because of you and Michele. We are so blessed that he has become such a great friend to our boys. Keep up the great work you two.
Post a Comment