Friday, December 4, 2015

Every clime and place.

In just about every village up here there is a National Guard Armory. The one in Selawik is labeled as such and is easily distinguished right next to the Clinic. I remember talk of one in Buckland but never actually saw it and here in KIVLs people refer to the Armory often. “Yeah, once the ice is good and the Tomcod are in, go fish right in front of the Armory.”

Except, I’ve walked around this island a hundred times already and I cannot, for the life of me, distinguish one dilapidated old building from another. Therefor, I have no clue which one is actually the Armory. I have learned though that none of these except maybe the one in Kotzebue is actually an active military armory. They are just remnants of the Cold War – evidence of the regions proximity to Mother Russia.

Coming here I actually asked an elder in C3 camp if I could talk of my experiences in the Marine Corps. I didn’t know if military service was a viable option for these folks. He assured me that people would be interested and said there are many Inupiaq Veterans of the Alaska National Guard… remember, Cold War?

So, in my time here word has gotten out that I am a United States Marine. Seeta, the night janitor, loves anytime that I dig up old pictures and share stories of those glory days when I was a little lighter and a lot less hairy.

I remember him coming in my room with his vacuum one evening in August saying, “Geez, I never meet someone been in War before!” For a while, he’d ask about the stuff daily.

My students are equally inquisitive. My man Thomas even went so far as to declare to his parents that he "wants to be a Marine like Mr. Kirby." Every morning we greet each other with a salute and end each day the same way. “By your leave, Sir.” More than once Thomas and his friends have ambushed me on an evening walk. I'm sure to debrief and critique in school the next day.

I did a minor Veteran’s Day project and shared a video that I have shared with classes in the past. The kids responded superbly. I posted their letters in the hall and invited friends, family and Veterans of Kivalina to come by the school for a peak. I wasn’t sure anyone ever did or not until last week when a stranger introduced himself to me at the store and told me about his time at Fort Benning, Georgia (Army National Guard). He wanted to hear more about the Marines.

So, the Cat’s out of the Bag. Kirby’s a Jarhead. Yeah – whatever.

2 days ago a plane dropped off a collection of toys to be distributed to the children of Kivalina when Santa’s Helpers arrived…that was all we knew – nothing more.

Actually them leaving today at Noon 12/3/15
Santa’s Helpers arrived on snowmachine yesterday.
Along with their Native Guide, Robbie from Noatak, 1st Sergeant Josh Guffey and Corporal Bill Worthy pulled in at about 1630 hours. Clad in Bunny Boots and heavy military issued arctic gear, it was hard to tell who they were and what was going on. Miss Knowles and I helped them unload their gear, which included another sled full of toys left over from the celebration at the Noatak School earlier that day. A little disoriented and worn out from their long haul over, the men acclimated to the McQueen School and politefully went with us on our mini-tour.


Emma (Miss Knowles) kicked in to high gear and began asking questions, making decisions and delegating authority. An Army brat herself, Emma looked at me at one point and said, “I don’t know Kirby. They look militaristic. They might be Marines.”

I asked and handshakes ensued. I was amongst my people!
Eagle, Globe & Anchor on a Snowmobile!


We had very little information about the operation that was going to be conducted at our school. I find it hard to believe that the United States Marine Corps would ever do anything on a whim. Somebody in the District Office, somebody at the Center of Confusion had known about this mission for a while now but the ball was dropped and nothing ever communicated to us on the Rock. Like all good Marines, these guys were happy to be here and ready to go with the flow. We agreed to work out the specifics in the morning and play it by ear when the kids came rolling in.

We checked them in to a room and went on our separate ways.

I retired to Senior Housing for a bowl of Clam Chowder Chunky Soup and a glass of water. Bill and I unwound from another eventful day at the school like we always do – with a good old-fashioned vent session. I scoured the land of Facebook, wrote my wife an email, looked at the clock and decided to go back to the school and chat up the visitors.

I’m glad that I did.

I popped in on the men who by now were maxing and relaxing in the classroom next to mine. I asked if they minded me stopping in and invited myself in. Robbie offered up some MukTuk (Bowhead Whale) and that spurred a fun conversation about his Uncle’s whaling crews in Barrow. Corporal Worthy let on that he is an MP reservist from Anchorage and joined the Corps at the ripe old age of 27. Just 2 and a half years in, he was recently meritoriously promoted to Corporal and just earned a NAM (Navy Achievement Medal) bringing his total ribbons to 3! He took the gentle ribbing as a Boot like all Boots do - with a smile. 1st Sergeant Guffey and I hit it off. He is an Active Duty Marine attached to the MP squad in Elmendorf Air Force Base and in charge of this "squad" here in the Arctic. Originally though  he is a just a grunt – like me. And grunts know – if you’ve met one, you’ve met us all.

The guys and I bullshitted for almost 3 hours. We talked about salmon fishing the Kenai Peninsula. They asked questions about the locals, the island and the tundra. Robbie and I put the two Marines through a crash course in Inupiaq cultures and customs. I felt like a seasoned pro and now have a friend from Noatak. Robbie was a good guy. Like Marines do – we told stories of deployments and bootcamp, Drill Instructors and old ladies. We heard about each other’s families and really just shot the shit like we’d known each other for years. There in that cramped classroom, 4 grown men sat on elementary sized school chairs much too small for our growing asses and didn’t complain about a thing.

The Youth Leaders here at school labeled a toy for each kid. 
Guffey and Worthy were just as surprised to see a Marine in Kivalina as I was to see them here. The USMC and Toys for Tots out of Anchorage has picked a different part of Bush Alaska to visit for the last few years. This year they picked the Northwest Arctic. As far as anyone can tell, nothing like this has ever been done for the kids of Kivalina or the other surrounding villages for that matter.

Cpl. Worthy & Joel. 
A C130 flew in to Kotz 3 days ago and 1st Sgt’s Marines dispersed in 3 different 2-man groups -  taking government issued snowmobiles across the Tundra and doing the work of Santa’s helpers.

1st Sgt. Guffey was in on the first Invasion of Iraq and last night he “invaded” Kivalina.


1st Sgt. Guffey & Ben. 
U.S.M.C. Toys for Tots - 12/3/15 
Their reception today was powerful. Every kid from pre-school through the seniors received something from the Marines. The Marines did a great job and spread a lot of Christmas LOVE. When some of my kids teased Worthy about his Portholes (What Marines call Eyeglasses) I thought the 1st Sgt. and I were going to loose it.

The helicopters were a big hit!
I was proud of how today went. I was glad I went back up there last night and visited with those guys. I was happy to see the kids of my class happy. I was reminded about the special bond between Santa Clause and the United States Marine Corps.
One of these Marines needs a haircut and a shave!
 Merry Christmas Marines. Semper Fi.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That is awesome... I always hear of the collection drives for Toys for Tots & the Marine Corps but I've never seen any of the deliveries.