Monday, November 9, 2015

ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!

I left the airport at MSP with an envelope from my wife. Inside there was a series of other envelopes with specific instructions written on the cover of each one.
#1 Read while waiting for your plane.
#2 Read on plane to Portland.
#3 Read when you are waiting in Portland.
#4 Read on the plane to Alaska.
#5 Read on the plane when you are almost in Alaska.
#6 Read Friday morning.
#7 Read before you leave for Kotz.
I played along and was a puddle each time I opened one and found encouraging words from the most caring, loving and understanding person in my life. My wife knew that this move to Alaska was totally out of character for me but she also knew that we needed to make a move. Michele played on my sense of adventure and included funny pictures as well and inspirational quotes.


This little Wilderness Explorer embodied the spirit and enthusiasm that Michele knew that I would need to carry me through the ups and downs of being away for so long. If you’re a fan of Disney Pixar’s “UP” like we are, you know that Russell’s innocence and naiveté are easily overlooked when you see his loving heart and willingness to go on the ultimate adventure.

I adopted the chubby backpacker as my class mascot this year and have him on our daily attendance and every newsletter. As Mr. Fredrickson’s sidekick, Russell fights through the discouraging times and always ends up with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.

I’ve always been a bit of an adventurer myself. As a kid I liked to build forts in the woods or explore neighborhoods at the far end of my parental set boundaries. In high school I was not just gullible but sometimes even the instigator when it came to doing something wild and a bit out there. The Marine Corps followed with a whole slew of experiences that fed in to my “If they could se me now” mentality. I have not shied away from taking some big chances in life.

And here in Alaska I’m realizing that there’s a lot of living left to do. I am no longer going to sit around and wait for something to happen. In the past decade or so I’ve let raising a family and worrying about money hold me and my family back from doing anything too wild and crazy. I’ve concerned myself with work and servitude more so than just living life.

I’m excited to see what the next few years will bring.
I know for sure…
            *Logan and I aren’t waiting much longer…this is the summer we’re biking from Pine City to Duluth.
            * Emma and Logan need to see Chicago, Aurora, Oswego – they need to go see the family and friends that I have down there. I’m not waiting until I can afford it. I’m going to make it happen sooner rather than later.
            *Just finished “A Walk in the Woods” about two fellas that walked 826 miles of the 2,200 total miles of the Appalachian Trail. I’ve always wanted to canoe the Upper reaches of the St. Croix River. Who’s with me? I know Logan will go. Stutzman? Dadd? – Let’s do it. How about the Superior Hiking Trail…anyone want to join me on a day or two or ten – hike?
            *It can’t all just be wild and crazy Wilderness Adventures… I’m interested in Job Searching and exploring a career move.
            *I’m learning to not say NO before I learn more about things… I used to shut out ideas in the earliest of stages because they were out of “the routine”. The routine is what I long for…but I’m going to redefine routine for my family – I think I’ve already started.

Kivalina is a cold and bitter place right now – and some days I absolutely love it. I’ve been trying to figure out how I’ll answer the questions about why and how I ever ended up here. I think about that often actually…not too sure that I’ll know those reasons though when I leave. It might come days, months, or years down the road.

I’m so glad I’ve got such a smart and perceptive wife… she deserves so much credit for making this whole machine tick…

I love her – even if she’s flipped my Doppelganger from Russell to Yukon Cornelius.

2 comments:

Jen said...

The experiences are definitely more important and should be scheduled in before time gets away!! You can always make more money.

Haven't seen UP for awhile- I'll have to squeeze that in one of these evenings. =)

Anonymous said...

And today is Veterans' Day. Thanks for serving! Mr. and Mrs. Hallan