Monday, October 19, 2015

Emergency Leave - Kivalina to Milaca...

In February of 1994 my grandfather was prematurely taken from us. A driven under the influence of cocaine hit my grandparents’ car immediately taking my grandpa from us and leaving my grandmother in intensive care. To make matters worse, I was in Camp Pendleton barely eight months in to my service in the Marine Corps. The Red Cross contacted the Officer of the Day; he tracked me down and delivered the difficult news. I don’t remember many particulars as far as travel arrangements or how I got home. All I remember was that the people around me then, did everything they could to make a terrible situation better.

It was important for me to be there for my grandmother and the rest of my family. Getting home from California and back afterwards must have taken some logistical finagling but it was all worth it. I served as a pallbearer at my grandfather’s funeral in my Dress Alpha uniform. Big Paul would have been proud.

Twenty years later, the thought of something catastrophic happening back home while I’m away has crossed my mind. Here in Alaska, this may be one of my biggest fears. It’s difficult to think that way but I cannot lie – I would never want that stranded feeling of helplessness so far from home again.

Yesterday a fellow teacher here in Kivalina lost her sister to a stroke. Coleen is our Special Education teacher and one heck of a cool lady. She’s a self described “reformed hippie” and nearing the end of a second career. Coleen actually retired from the construction business a few years back, got a teaching degree and has taken to a life of travel and adventure. Last year she taught in China. This year she’s here with us in Kivalina. At 63 years old, she’s spunky and always smiling. She works her tail off for these kids and for me is a great reminder of life back in Minnesota.

Ya see, Coleen is from Milaca – less than 49 miles from my home in Pine City! We are practically neighbors. Here in Kivalina, we are neighbors; less than 30 yards separate our homes. She would be someone that I would naturally gravitate towards even without our common bond of the great Gopher State. So when I found out she was hurting and heading home, I offered her a hug and support in any way that I could.

What I saw today was inspiring.

With a few more details available, Coleen knew that she was ready to leave Kivalina soon. She came in to our morning football breakfast looking for help. I was privileged to watch some great people show heartfelt compassion for a co-worker and a friend.

Emma immediately jumped on Alaska Airline’s web site and began navigating the difficult world of flight arrangements. Lyle got on the phone with Ravn Air and sought availability for seats on today’s remaining afternoon flights. With a few options listed and Coleen emotionally worn we all started making decisions on her behalf. Lyle handed the phone off to Bill and he offered up his pre-booked holiday flights if the Airline would accommodate.

Typically rebooking fees are astronomical when the price of the original ticket was purchased on a “fire sale”. Ravn Airlines was very easy to work with and only charged a 25-dollar fee for Bill to change the dates from Christmas until NOW and the names from his to Coleen’s. Round trip tickets from Kivalina to Kotzebue and back where no longer something to worry about.

Lyle went up to the school and fetched the necessary paperwork for bereavement leave after he and I discussed the contractual obligations of the district in such situations. Emma knocked out the finally arrangements for last minute flight bookings and enrollments in Flight Plans to save her some money on the way back. She even forked over a gift card that she has for a restaurant in the Seattle airport – breakfast for tomorrow morning in Seattle was covered. And I ran home to retrieve my cell phone.

I gave Coleen my cell phone which doesn’t actually work in Kivalina but is online and working as soon as you reach Kotzebue. So Coleen would have contact with any of us and any of her family from Kotz, Anchorage, Seattle and in to Minneapolis. I showed Coleen Lyle and Emma’s numbers as stored contacts and even offered up my wife’s number as a point of contact once she reaches Minnesota tomorrow evening. I handed her the charger and told her that my unlimited minutes are now her unlimited minutes. I expect her to use it as needed.

With a plane inbound in less than 2 hours, we sent her home to pack. Nancy, her roommate, was baking the best pumpkin and chocolate muffins and offered her own gentle support. I hooked up the trailer to the school ATV and Emma printed off boarding passes and itineraries. All of us sat in the office at the school listening to the VHF for flight updates and making small talk.

We were all there to hug her goodbye and wish her well – it was a quick couple of hours but handled with military like precision.

When Coleen is surrounded by her friends, family and loved ones in Minnesota in the coming days I know she’ll think back on the “family” that she’s left back here in Kivalina. We’re going to miss her while she’s gone.  




No comments: