After a quick shower and a change in to school appropriate
clothes, I stayed with the routine and headed to the kitchen for my Apples
& Cinnamon Oatmeal. Because of the inquisitive eyes of some village
rugrats, most of the windows of Senior Housing need to be covered at all times.
The one window above our kitchen is high and guarded and therefore usually open
to let in the light of the world. Today it was full of sunshine.
“Another glorious Monday in the Arctic”, I thought and kept
on my routine.
In two short weeks of school, I’ve quickly learned that no
matter how early or how late I get to school, the minute I enter my classroom I
am going to get regular visitors. No matter the workload that I might attempt
to take care of or how I try to prepare for the day…visitors of all shapes and
sizes require attention. I have yet to successfully use my morning prep. And so with
that, I’ve learned to leave Senior Housing closer to the mandated clock hours
than I would typically. Call it what you want.
Today I grabbed my things, slid on my jacket and readied
myself for the 23 yard commute but when I threw open the cunnychuck door, I
almost dropped my computer in astonishment. There was skim ice on the puddles.
The ground had frost. The gravel rocks of “mainstreet” Kivalina were stiff with
the cold air.
August 31st, 2015 and it got cold enough to
freeze the puddles! Awesome.
I walked over and cracked through the thin layer because it’s
written in the Constitution or something that you’re supposed to do that. I
smiled, turned towards school and was on my way for my morning prayers and
commute.
*Oh yeah to make things even better…the sun stayed out all
day and before supper, I went for a run on the beach wearing shorts and
sunglasses. Well, I was wearing other things too. It wasn’t that warm.
*And it’s PAYDAY! My take home Net Income will easily exceed
my Gross income for 2014. (Just in case anyone besides Michele really cares)
Inupiaq
Vocab of the day for the Peanut Gallery - A cunnychuck (qanichaq) is the
eskimo word for an Arctic entry way. What you might call a mudroom or back on
the Ridge we called them “entryways”. (Clever, I know.)
1 comment:
Your blog today was a much needed escape after being professionally "developed" all day. I had about a week to catch up on--what a treat! Thanks for the smiles ( and occasional tears).
Post a Comment