Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Daughter's Birthday...

I woke this morning before the alarm again. Today the anticipation of being away from my baby girl on her birthday probably was enough to get my mind rolling early. I popped open my laptop before I even turned on the lights in my bedroom. I’d hoped to see a Facebook post from my wife and without disappointment there was one waiting. Like any good mother these days, Michele shared a couple of pictures of our sweet girl and professed our love for her.

I expected to feel a little emotion. I didn’t expect to see a picture of her as a newborn, her tiny hand hanging on to Daddy’s finger. It was too much and I was a blubbering mess.

I decided to have a midweek shower before school. On one hand, I needed to calm my nerves and on the other hand, there was a slight chance that I’d see the President of the United States today. I didn’t want to smell funky. The shower cleaned my body and cleared my mind. I was off to school – glad to see a second beautiful morning in a row.

I’ve asked my wife to take lots of pictures when I’m gone and she’s even sent me a few video clips now and again. I absolutely live for those small bits and pieces of their world and I’ll admit, I cry. But it’s a weird kind of pain. After seeing these videos one time, I’m not sure that I’ve cried at all after seeing them a second time or when sharing them with friends.

I got to school and shortly thereafter had a video waiting. Emma wanted to open her presents early. I was glad to watch her sit at the kitchen table and open a few presents. She looks tough in her Sidney Crosby jersey. I loved seeing her smile. The video was almost enough to get me crying again but I held off because after all, although I was alone in my classroom, I was already at school. Minutes before I would be receiving students, I got another short video entitled “Good Timing.” Apparently, while Emma was opening her gifts the mail was delivered and lo and behold, my letter was there. Michele filmed Emma opening the letter I sent out last week. I smiled. It was as close to being there as possible.

But I lost it when she read it aloud. The audio wasn’t great and I could barely hear her. I leaned in and strained to listen. By this time the tears were pouring freely on to my keyboard as I frantically fought them off with a small towel. I looked at the clock and dashed for the back porch. I needed a moment of fresh air, a couple of deep breaths and a quick prayer.

It helped. I was smiling and happy the rest of the day. SKYPED a birthday song and watched her blow out the candles. Got to visit with some good friends when they dropped by the house during our SKYPE. It was all good in the hood…  made it past another small hurdle that I was worried about.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES flew over Kivalina today at 4:30 in the afternoon?
POTUS decides Kivalina runway can't handle AF1


That was kind of a big deal too.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Do you think the President saw your birthday message to Emma?

kirby said...

He didn't. I was getting ready to SKYPE with you guys and then hear some commotion and ran outside straight from school to see the President. I hadn't written my message yet.
I wrote that in the sand right by the channel after supper but before my run.
But we can let Emma think that I wrote it for the President. : )
lv
K