Monday, April 21, 2014

“Sit down. I have something I need to tell you.”



The ink on my Bemidji State diploma was barely dry that horrific September 11th morning that we remember all too well. Alan Jackson would later ask us in song, “Where were you when the World stopped turning on that September day?” His reply in the next verse brings tears to my eyes still to this day, almost 13 years later….
…“Teaching a Class full of innocent children?” …
It’s as if Mr. Jackson stood beside me that Tuesday while 27 6th graders returned from their early morning Phy. Ed. class. “Sit down. I have something I need to tell you,” I said. I can only imagine the look on my face. 27 kids sensed the severity of the moment. 27 kids sat and waited. Just over a week in to my rookie year of teaching 6th grade at CE Jacobson Elementary, I was faced with a heavy load. And we LIVED that moment TOGETHER.

Looking back, I’ve grown close with a lot of those kids from my first year. Understandably so, I mean, aren’t we always supposed to have a special place in our hearts for our FIRSTS? Of course that year had its ups and downs, full of things that are typical of any and every 6th grade classroom from any generation and from here to there. We, though, had to navigate the school year amongst unfamiliar emotions and uncertainty of what was happening to the World around us. In our Social Studies books we learned that “shared experiences” help bring groups of people closer together. Like a small community surviving a tornado or a group of workers unionizing and picketing against the boss – we would be forever tied to each other because of where we were when four airplanes fell from the sky.

As adults, I’ve heard stories from those kids that mine is the reaction that they most remember from 9/11. A 4-year veteran of the United States Marine Corps, I participated in a few mild skirmishes in Africa and the Middle East in the mid 90’s. However, that morning on September 11th, I suppressed a reflexive response to return fire and head for cover. Instead I tried to be confident and speak from truth. While the smoldering towers showed on the TV behind me, I assured those darling little faces looking up at me for guidance that our world was about to change, but for now they were safe… safe here at school- with me.

Years later I can look back at their class picture and see young adults that are now college graduates, small business owners, Moms & Dads. One of those girls is currently serving in the Peace Corps in Africa while another young man is set to canoe the Mississippi River from start to finish once the weather breaks. They’ve grown to become personal trainers and familiar faces at the town grocery. Some swing by the pool in the summer for a quick visit or we meet in passing at a ball game. Social media has been a godsend as far as keeping up on “my first year kids”.  Facebook has let me witness the births of sons and daughters and graduations from officer academies and nursing schools. I’m proud of those kids.

Chelsea Peterson was in my class in 2001. She was a stellar student, genuinely interested in whatever it was that we were learning about. Her positive attitude was contagious. The following school year, I got to coach Chelsea as a 7th grade basketball player. As a testament to her talent, Chelsea was playing hockey at the same time and when schedules conflicted, we made do because having her around was worth it. Even when she was just 12 years old I knew that her ability and drive would take her far.
It was a joy watching her mature in high school both academically and athletically. The oldest of four children, Chelsea reflected very well on her family’s morals and convictions. And it came as no surprise to me when I learned that Chelsea had enlisted in the National Guard. While I often saw her parents and siblings, I rarely saw her. With similar interests in hockey and hunting, Facebook allowed us to stay connected. And through her family, I admired her young military career from afar.

And then she was put on active duty.

Times have changed since I served in Kuwait and Somalia. Back then I was afforded 2 phone calls over a 6 month period and only lucky enough to connect on one of them. I’m thankful that times have changed though. New technology has potentially softened the blow of long-term separation for our countries soldiers and their families. Through social media and even text messaging, I have followed the deployments of several of my former students and athletes. Chelsea was one them.

Chelsea would routinely pop up a picture or update a status from Afghanistan. Her family beamed with pride and I joined them in watching her service in the eye of the storm. It must be comforting for those serving now to have sporadic technological access – allowing them to keep up on the happenings of friends and family back home while they do their duty abroad. Equally comforting for those of us stateside is the opportunity to see the day-to-day life of loved ones in a foreign land play out on our computer screen.

From my observations, Chelsea is a good soldier. Her “can do” attitude is obvious in photos and updates just as it is in person. Serving with the 8th Engineer Battalion on the other side of the world though has no doubt taught her things that cannot be learned in a textbook. We all eagerly awaited her safe return.

A couple of months ago I tried to RSVP my spot at the “Welcome Home” party but when it was rescheduled I, unfortunately, wasn’t able to make it. Shortly after that I got an instant message one night from Sgt. Peterson. Miss Chelsea wondered if she could catch me at school some day. She said she had something to give me. I let her know that I normally get to school around 7:30 a.m. and would be happy to see her anytime. Apparently reveille in the Army is a little later than my old Marine Corps days because Chelsea replied that it’d have to wait for another day. That was just too early!

And then, just last week she hit me up on Facebook and mentioned that she’d be in town. Again, pressing that she had something she wanted to give me, I reminded her that she is always welcome and she could drop in whenever was convenient. We agreed that Wednesday at about 11:00 would work.

I suppose I expected a trinket of warfare - maybe some funny money or a pin. What I got blew me away.

Sgt. Peterson, that same 11-year-old Chelsea from my first class- now just a little older, interrupted my Social Studies class and presented me with a box. Inside was a formal document and a ceremoniously folded United States flag. My face became flush and after a hug, I stammered through polite conversation. This was more than just a trinket! For a moment I forgot about the present day 6th graders hanging on our every word.  25 kids sensed the enormity of the moment. 25 kids sat and waited. Once we realized that we were being watched, Chelsea and I turned it in to a teaching moment. We pulled down maps and shared a couple of war stories. Sgt. Peterson easily commanded their attention with her smile and genuine ways. Given the opportunity to fly a flag in honor of someone “back home”, Sergeant Peterson chose me. I beamed with pride that this young soldier had not forgotten about a crusty old grunt back home.

Chelsea left with another hug but, to be honest, that was before I even got to read the accompanying document. My new 6th graders wanted to know what it said and asked me to read it aloud. 

The official paperwork signed by the Sergeant Major and Lieutenant Commander reads,
"This certificate is presented to Mr. Kirby's Class"
“These Stars and Stripes were proudly flown on 13th of November, 2013 over Task Force TROJAN HORSE, Forward Operating Base Shank, Afghanistan at the request of Sgt. Chelsea Peterson for view of the enemies of the United States. This flag represents the American resolve following the attack on the World Trade Center and Pentagon on September 11th 2001, and bears witness to the destruction of terrorist forces threatening the Freedom of the United States of America and the world."

I struggled to make it through the first part before I lost my military bearing. It wasn't long until I was in full-fledged tears. Here I stood, 13 years later reading through a present day gift of sacrifice from one of those innocent kids that looked to me on that September day. Most, if not all, of my 13th year students were not even born the day those planes changed the world but I've got reason to believe that they'll remember the day a soldier stopped by and made their teacher cry.

Thank you Sgt. Peterson. You've done us all real proud.

Respectfully,
Paul Kirby
Corporal - United States Marine Corps
6th Grade Teacher - Jacobson Elementary


And then some... The principal thought this was quite the deal....contacted Local Paper...they put it on the Front Page....Social Media & Facebook ate it up. If you're interested in any more the link follows...

http://ecmpostreview.com/2014/04/16/solider-flies-flag-in-honor-of-her-teacher/

BTW - I didn't teach them how to spell "SOLIDER".  ; ) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice job Paul. I saw the pics etc. on FB and you looked a little shell shocked but that was quite the honor from Chelsea. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jeff