The House That Joe Built
The sign out front reads “Sale Pending”. It’s a day we all
knew and feared would eventually come.
A while back our snowbirds put their house up for sale as
each year their time in Florida became more and more precious. 501 Riverview
sat mostly unfilled for the next few years, partly because of the down turn in
the housing market that came at about the same time as Grandpa’s retirement
from Security State Bank. Those of us that grew to love the ranch on the river
knew that the market would only stave off the inevitable for so long.
Eventually we would have to let go and turn the page to a new chapter in our
family’s lives. So it appears, that new chapter starts now. They’re moving out
in March.
Saying goodbye to the House That Joe Built was hard for me.
* It’s the place where I mowed the lawn for seasons on end
in exchange for fifteen dollars and all the lemonade a grandson could wish for.
* It’s the place where I filleted walleyes at the end of the
dock amongst the mosquitoes I knew on a first name basis.
* Grandma’s was where I reported on consequence after being
charged with grand theft auto for “borrowing” my stepmother’s Camaro to “whip”
the mean streets of Warroad.
* Joe’s was where I rented the Honda 3 wheeler but never made
good on my tab. Don’t ever remember changing the oil or paying for gas but I do
remember wheelies for days!
* 501 Riverview is the most dependable place I know on Earth
for a warm meal and warmer hugs.
* Birthday pictures from the deck or Prom pictures in front
of the fireplace – a lot of life’s milestones took place on that side of the
railroad tracks.
* For as long as I can remember, the basketball hoop there
comes with one simple instruction – Insert Ball HERE. >
* In all of those years I have never showered on the first
floor – always in the basement. And each time, it reminded me of Duke and Greg
and the smell of a Mink Ranch.
* Great Grandma Fox always called it a “davenport”. Whatever
she called it, I always saw it as a great place for an afternoon nap with
Redford. Later when Doozie claimed “The House That Joe Built” as his home, if
you hadn’t seen him in a while it was a safe bet that he was resting behind the
“davenport”.
* After graduating from boot camp, it’s in that house that I
proudly stood at attention flanked by two generations of grandmothers.
* Shortly after completing my service with Uncle Sam,
Grandma and Grandpa used my newly acquired skill set and paid me to dig
fighting holes on the north face of the basement. I made a little spending cash
and patched up some leaky concrete while I was down there.
* At the turn of the century Joe’s Place was the sight of
this generations’ first 5-year Fox Family reunion – reuniting long lost kin
back in Warroad just like the days of old.
* Grandma’s kitchen table served as a gathering place for
many Christmas meals. That table was the same spot where a dozen red roses
waited for my soon to be wife after I proposed to her on that cold March day
more than ten years ago.
* Downstairs Grandpa’s woodshop was where my father and I
fashioned out a makeshift Muskie Bait box. And later, where we were joined by
my brother to bore out holes in countless chunks of birch logs that would serve
as candle-holders and center pieces at the wedding of my dreams.
* That house is where my own children crawled, walked and
eventually ran circles. Chasing each other through the kitchen and around the
den. That is of course until Poppa Joe surprised them with the disappearing
pocket door.
* Every house in America deserves a resting place as
comfortable as the beanbag in Grandma’s TV room and the view of Government
Island from the front window is a great place to take in a lightening storm,
watch the snow fall or even better, check on the ducks and geese and their
seasonal broods.
* * *
* * * *
* * *
* * *
* *
You see, my wife teased me a bit on Monday as we said our
goodbyes to loved ones after another great holiday break. She sensed that I was
uneasy and even a bit emotional as we packed for our journey home. Teasing is
her loving way of acknowledging my feelings. Although we left with photos,
dishes and shop lights to remind us of “The House That Joe Built”, this was in
fact the last time that we’d have this great home as a gathering place for our
family. My list is long. No doubt every member of our extended family, Biskups
and Kirbys alike, has equally as
many memorable moments stemming from this great place. I guess it’s not so much
as a “good-bye” as it is a “relocation of memories” because our snowbirds will
be back. And although they might spend a few nights in new digs next summer,
we’re all reluctantly ready to create new memories somewhere other than 501
Riverview Drive.
Love you Grandma Judy and Poppa Joe.
Thank you for everything.
Paul, Michele, Tyler, Emma, Logan, Gunner and Raider
1 comment:
Well said Paul, this is something we both have in common. The love of a home our Grandparents owned that was our 2nd homes filled with so many wonderful memories. It's ironic that both homes were on "Riverview". Our Grandpa and Grandma Muellers home was at 932 Riverview Ave in Bismarck ND and the experiences there will last a lifetime. Thanks much for your recollection of your "Riverview" memories.
Jeff
Post a Comment