Monday, October 13, 2008

Minnesota State Patrol

Some of you may or may not know but I have been in the Application Process with the MN State Patrol since last February. It has been an interesting ride, full of internal reflection and many tough choices. Michele has stood by me through this whole process and helped me make decisions for US along the way. I have not totally made this journey public information because I currently "have" a job and interviewing for a different one involved limited risk for my family. I did not want to get ahead of myself nor did I want others worrying about me. In the end, I was disqualified because I am colorblind. Following is a letter I sent...

Friends and Family,
First off, I want to take a minute to Thank each and every one of you for being in my life. I have been blessed with good people and am forever grateful for relationships we've been able to maintain. Throughout the past months, the important people in my life have been a part of a very personal decision made by me and my family. Through the Application Process with the MN State Patrol, unmeasurable things have been said in my favor and for that I am thankful. Thank you.

Although a note like this may be informal, understand that I would much rather give the news in person, However, I'm choosing to write this so the word can spread fast and so that there is written record of my appreciation of each one of you. Which brings me to my second point.... on September 17th I was extended a Conditional Offer for Employment with the
State Patrol. I graciously excepted that offer and was proud to know that out of 900+ initial candidates, 7 months later, I was still standing. Tuesday, Sept. 30th, I was scheduled for a Physical at North Memorial in Robbinsdale. Good news there is that I am healthy and fit, unfortunately on October 1, I was removed from the application pool. To state it bluntly, I was D.Q.'ed
because I am Color Blind.

I have said many prayers along this journey. One in particular kept coming to me - the prayer where we ask for the strength to change the things that we can, the serenityty to accept the things we cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference. This is important for us all to always remember. I did my very best at everything that was in my control. I met fitness requirements. I took silly tests and I nailed a Oral Board interview. The things not in my control are left in God's hands. And that is where we are today.

I have a wonderful wife that has been a pillar for me to lean on always. She impresses daily me with all that she is. My 3 healthy children are a gift that remind me of what's really important in life. And you, my friends and family, have been that support system that has help shape the man that I am. The Kirby family is better because of this whole process. Although the
outcome may not be what we anticipated just a few short days ago, I assure you Life is good for us.
God Bless you all.
"Thy will be done"
Kirby

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Hi Paul,

It must be disappointing, but I'm sure there's a good reason for this outcome and you will find what God's will is for you. Family is the most important thing and you are a wonderful father and I'm sure you are a wonderful husband too!

Take care, Vanessa